Make the call to stop the next big industry bailout
You can reach all of your Congress members at 202-224-3121. Simple tell your representative to oppose Obama’s budget proposal to triple the nuclear loan guarantee program. You can also use the talking points below.
Some quick talking points for your calls:
1) The American people are tired of corporate bailouts. In this case, taxpayers would provide the loans and take all the risk. The large utilities would take any profits, and taxpayers would pay for all losses. That is fundamentally unfair to the American people.
2) Congress should wait and see how the current loans (to the Vogtle reactors in Georgia and likely one or two more reactors) fare before risking even more taxpayer money on nuclear loans.
3) Nuclear power remains dirty and dangerous, as demonstrated by the recent toxic tritium leaks at the Vermont Yankee reactor and elsewhere.
4) It would be folly to repeat the mistakes of the past and encourage new reactor construction when we still don't know how to handle the radioactive waste from existing reactors.
5) We need to address the climate crisis with the fastest, cheapest, cleanest and safest means possible of reducing carbon emissions. Nuclear power is the slowest, most expensive, dirtiest and most dangerous technology available. And nuclear power is not carbon-free: its carbon footprint is about six times that of wind, 2-3 times greater than solar, and many times greater than energy efficiency.
6) Our goal should be to attain a nuclear-free, carbon-free energy future. Anyone who believes this isn't possible just isn't paying attention.
How did it go!?
After you call, please, send us a quick note and tell us who you called and how it went in the space below.