Who Is Secretly Funneling Money into Mitt Romney's Campaign Coffers?
Unlike President Obama, Romney Doesn't Disclose. Urge the Presumptive GOP Nominee to Come Clean
To raise huge amounts of campaign cash, presidential candidates rely on “bundlers.”
Bundlers are campaign funders who bundle their own donations together with those of other super-rich Americans in order to skirt the legal limits on contributions directly to campaigns in order to raise tens of thousands — if not millions — of dollars.
President Barack Obama has been publicly disclosing information about his bundlers since the 2008 campaign began. Mitt Romney also disclosed his bundlers in 2008.
But this year, Mitt Romney has so far refused all calls to release information about the identities of those in his army of bundlers.
Only the names of Romney’s bundlers who are federally registered lobbyists have been disclosed (which is required by law). The rest of his network of fundraisers remains in the shadows.
Sign the petition to Romney for President Campaign Committee
We, the undersigned, urge Mitt Romney to release his full list of campaign bundlers in order to match the level of transparency that has come to be expected from presidential candidates of both major parties.
Spread the Word
More About Bundlers
- Top bundlers are often given access and political appointments in return for gathering large amounts of money for the campaign. A 2011 study of President Obama's top-tier fundraisers from 2008 showed that 80 percent received "key administration posts" as defined by the White House.
- Every Democratic and Republican presidential nominee since 2000 has released his full list of campaign bundlers to the public, updating it periodically.
- Mitt Romney released his bundlers list in 2008 but has yet to do so for this election cycle.
- As the presumptive nominee in 2008, John McCain released his bundlers list on April 19.
- President Obama has already voluntarily released his bundlers list, with quarterly updates.
- As a result, Obama has already returned more than $200,000 in campaign contributions linked to bundlers with questionable backgrounds -- contributions that likely never would have been scrutinized if his bundlers had been kept secret.
Join Our Social Networks
|Number||Date||Name||Add a Comment|
|22633||Fri Aug 31 15:39:41 EDT 2012||Joe Landwehr|
|22632||Fri Aug 31 09:14:49 EDT 2012||David R. Smith|
|22631||Fri Aug 31 01:01:54 EDT 2012||Anonymous|
|22630||Thu Aug 30 23:30:46 EDT 2012||Jacques Zakin|
|22629||Thu Aug 30 20:26:22 EDT 2012||Anonymous|
|22628||Thu Aug 30 16:41:09 EDT 2012||Charlene Ferguson|
|22627||Thu Aug 30 15:34:05 EDT 2012||Mary Jane Pagan||If you are running for President of the United States you are asking us to trust you with our country's integrity. Please show us yours.|
|22626||Thu Aug 30 01:58:40 EDT 2012||Jamie Zazow|
|22625||Wed Aug 29 23:37:59 EDT 2012||Anonymous|
|22624||Wed Aug 29 23:33:29 EDT 2012||Anonymous|
|22623||Wed Aug 29 21:43:48 EDT 2012||Joseph Ponisciak|
|22622||Wed Aug 29 17:46:36 EDT 2012||Pamela Barnes|
|22621||Wed Aug 29 15:29:45 EDT 2012||Sharon Siggins|
|22620||Wed Aug 29 13:34:27 EDT 2012||Kristen Lightbody|
|22619||Wed Aug 29 02:06:18 EDT 2012||Jacqueline Newman|
|22618||Wed Aug 29 00:43:35 EDT 2012||NANCY PARRIS|
|22617||Wed Aug 29 00:20:42 EDT 2012||Erica Freeman|
|22616||Tue Aug 28 17:51:11 EDT 2012||Laurence Leighton|
|22615||Tue Aug 28 17:20:55 EDT 2012||Henry Ickes|
|22614||Tue Aug 28 16:47:48 EDT 2012||Dan Scarl|
|22613||Tue Aug 28 16:00:34 EDT 2012||John Freund||The sooner you do this, the better. The pressure to do so is only going to mount until this and the tax returns you are hiding will describe whatever undeserved credibility you now have. You are a disgrace More....|
|22612||Tue Aug 28 15:57:01 EDT 2012||Susan Patton|
|22611||Tue Aug 28 12:48:03 EDT 2012||Beatrice Birch|
|22610||Tue Aug 28 12:31:25 EDT 2012||Cristina Gallo|
|22609||Tue Aug 28 10:51:47 EDT 2012||Carl Kohls|
© Public Citizen. This Web site is shared by Public Citizen Inc. and Public Citizen Foundation. Learn more about the distinction between these two components of Public Citizen.