Who Is Secretly Funneling Money into Mitt Romney's Campaign Coffers?
Unlike President Obama, Romney Doesn't Disclose. Urge the Presumptive GOP Nominee to Come Clean
To raise huge amounts of campaign cash, presidential candidates rely on “bundlers.”
Bundlers are campaign funders who bundle their own donations together with those of other super-rich Americans in order to skirt the legal limits on contributions directly to campaigns in order to raise tens of thousands — if not millions — of dollars.
President Barack Obama has been publicly disclosing information about his bundlers since the 2008 campaign began. Mitt Romney also disclosed his bundlers in 2008.
But this year, Mitt Romney has so far refused all calls to release information about the identities of those in his army of bundlers.
Only the names of Romney’s bundlers who are federally registered lobbyists have been disclosed (which is required by law). The rest of his network of fundraisers remains in the shadows.
Sign the petition to Romney for President Campaign Committee
We, the undersigned, urge Mitt Romney to release his full list of campaign bundlers in order to match the level of transparency that has come to be expected from presidential candidates of both major parties.
Spread the Word
More About Bundlers
- Top bundlers are often given access and political appointments in return for gathering large amounts of money for the campaign. A 2011 study of President Obama's top-tier fundraisers from 2008 showed that 80 percent received "key administration posts" as defined by the White House.
- Every Democratic and Republican presidential nominee since 2000 has released his full list of campaign bundlers to the public, updating it periodically.
- Mitt Romney released his bundlers list in 2008 but has yet to do so for this election cycle.
- As the presumptive nominee in 2008, John McCain released his bundlers list on April 19.
- President Obama has already voluntarily released his bundlers list, with quarterly updates.
- As a result, Obama has already returned more than $200,000 in campaign contributions linked to bundlers with questionable backgrounds -- contributions that likely never would have been scrutinized if his bundlers had been kept secret.
Join Our Social Networks
|Number||Date||Name||Add a Comment|
|22558||Fri Aug 24 20:56:08 EDT 2012||Erin Brandon|
|22557||Fri Aug 24 20:43:37 EDT 2012||CINDY DANIELSON|
|22556||Fri Aug 24 20:43:03 EDT 2012||CINDY DANIELSON|
|22555||Fri Aug 24 19:52:49 EDT 2012||Judith Tetzlaff|
|22554||Fri Aug 24 19:52:47 EDT 2012||Judith Tetzlaff|
|22553||Fri Aug 24 16:18:22 EDT 2012||Anonymous||YOU ARE A BOUGHT-AND-PAID-FOR SHILL FOR THE WHOEVER PAYS YOU THE MOST MONEY.; JUST A HIGH-PRICED PROSTITUTE. WE DON'T NEED YOUR KIND HERE. PEDDLE YOUR LOATHSOME MESS SOMEWHERE ELSE.|
|22552||Fri Aug 24 16:11:51 EDT 2012||James Robinson||WHAT ARE YOU HIDING?|
|22551||Fri Aug 24 15:34:32 EDT 2012||T. Kirk|
|22550||Fri Aug 24 15:25:57 EDT 2012||Edie Buie||Between Romney and Obama is a choice between a bag man and a flim flam artist. I'd say more but I'm a lady.|
|22549||Fri Aug 24 14:39:11 EDT 2012||Caryl Dimas|
|22548||Fri Aug 24 14:38:07 EDT 2012||gerry|
|22547||Fri Aug 24 13:13:48 EDT 2012||Alice Evans||Where is the honesty in all of your secrecy? It feels very uncomfortable to me. It is time to let the people know who is financing your campaign, and what taxes you paid in the last 5 to 10 years.|
|22546||Fri Aug 24 12:53:38 EDT 2012||erin|
|22545||Fri Aug 24 10:43:03 EDT 2012||Carol McRae|
|22544||Fri Aug 24 09:20:10 EDT 2012||Eva Balogh||And how about your tax returns, Mitt? What nefarious dealings are you so intent on hiding from the voting public??!!!|
|22543||Fri Aug 24 04:17:04 EDT 2012||joe prebeg|
|22542||Fri Aug 24 03:36:32 EDT 2012||Matt Clark|
|22541||Fri Aug 24 01:25:01 EDT 2012||Terry Azzarello|
|22540||Fri Aug 24 01:21:43 EDT 2012||Terry Azzarello|
|22539||Fri Aug 24 01:20:48 EDT 2012||Mick Robinson|
|22538||Fri Aug 24 00:49:32 EDT 2012||Richard Robinson|
|22537||Fri Aug 24 00:29:21 EDT 2012||Mark|
|22536||Fri Aug 24 00:03:18 EDT 2012||Steven Kranowski|
|22535||Thu Aug 23 22:09:54 EDT 2012||Robert Poignant||We, the PEOPLE, need to know who is financing all the ads that are tv and "purchasing" the election for President!|
|22534||Thu Aug 23 20:05:22 EDT 2012||Christopher Sego|
© Public Citizen. This Web site is shared by Public Citizen Inc. and Public Citizen Foundation. Learn more about the distinction between these two components of Public Citizen.