Who Is Secretly Funneling Money into Mitt Romney's Campaign Coffers?
Unlike President Obama, Romney Doesn't Disclose. Urge the Presumptive GOP Nominee to Come Clean
To raise huge amounts of campaign cash, presidential candidates rely on “bundlers.”
Bundlers are campaign funders who bundle their own donations together with those of other super-rich Americans in order to skirt the legal limits on contributions directly to campaigns in order to raise tens of thousands — if not millions — of dollars.
President Barack Obama has been publicly disclosing information about his bundlers since the 2008 campaign began. Mitt Romney also disclosed his bundlers in 2008.
But this year, Mitt Romney has so far refused all calls to release information about the identities of those in his army of bundlers.
Only the names of Romney’s bundlers who are federally registered lobbyists have been disclosed (which is required by law). The rest of his network of fundraisers remains in the shadows.
Sign the petition to Romney for President Campaign Committee
We, the undersigned, urge Mitt Romney to release his full list of campaign bundlers in order to match the level of transparency that has come to be expected from presidential candidates of both major parties.
Spread the Word
More About Bundlers
- Top bundlers are often given access and political appointments in return for gathering large amounts of money for the campaign. A 2011 study of President Obama's top-tier fundraisers from 2008 showed that 80 percent received "key administration posts" as defined by the White House.
- Every Democratic and Republican presidential nominee since 2000 has released his full list of campaign bundlers to the public, updating it periodically.
- Mitt Romney released his bundlers list in 2008 but has yet to do so for this election cycle.
- As the presumptive nominee in 2008, John McCain released his bundlers list on April 19.
- President Obama has already voluntarily released his bundlers list, with quarterly updates.
- As a result, Obama has already returned more than $200,000 in campaign contributions linked to bundlers with questionable backgrounds -- contributions that likely never would have been scrutinized if his bundlers had been kept secret.
Join Our Social Networks
|Number||Date||Name||Add a Comment|
|22508||Wed Aug 22 17:27:05 EDT 2012||Casey Pittman|
|22507||Wed Aug 22 17:11:45 EDT 2012||Rev Crow Swimsaway PhD|
|22506||Wed Aug 22 17:10:20 EDT 2012||Eileen waterman||This country does not need someone running it that will not be truthful to the electorate.|
|22505||Wed Aug 22 17:00:36 EDT 2012||Casey Pittman|
|22504||Wed Aug 22 16:43:28 EDT 2012||Prudence Ferraro||It would be nice to be able to trust you, in case you happen to win, GOd forbId.|
|22503||Wed Aug 22 16:42:06 EDT 2012||Christine Ortiz|
|22502||Wed Aug 22 16:10:27 EDT 2012||Connie Drass|
|22501||Wed Aug 22 15:59:31 EDT 2012||Charles Denzler|
|22500||Wed Aug 22 15:54:53 EDT 2012||Mathew Ostrander||Don't feed my already deepening distrust. Come clean.|
|22499||Wed Aug 22 15:35:07 EDT 2012||Jason Humphrey|
|22498||Wed Aug 22 15:16:10 EDT 2012||Ray Wallner|
|22497||Wed Aug 22 14:59:15 EDT 2012||Richard Han|
|22496||Wed Aug 22 14:32:23 EDT 2012||Carol Soderlund|
|22495||Wed Aug 22 13:22:14 EDT 2012||Michael Kocel|
|22494||Wed Aug 22 12:39:51 EDT 2012||Benita|
|22493||Wed Aug 22 12:19:58 EDT 2012||erin gatewood|
|22492||Wed Aug 22 11:39:49 EDT 2012||Sue McHenry|
|22491||Wed Aug 22 11:37:38 EDT 2012||Lucas Nyman|
|22490||Wed Aug 22 11:36:20 EDT 2012||Daniel Shively|
|22489||Wed Aug 22 11:09:50 EDT 2012||Barry Smith|
|22488||Wed Aug 22 09:35:10 EDT 2012||Sally A Merchant|
|22487||Wed Aug 22 09:00:09 EDT 2012||Carla Monroe|
|22486||Wed Aug 22 08:18:03 EDT 2012||Alan Fleischner|
|22485||Wed Aug 22 07:23:56 EDT 2012||D P|
|22484||Wed Aug 22 07:14:28 EDT 2012||D P|
© Public Citizen. This Web site is shared by Public Citizen Inc. and Public Citizen Foundation. Learn more about the distinction between these two components of Public Citizen.