Who Is Secretly Funneling Money into Mitt Romney's Campaign Coffers?
Unlike President Obama, Romney Doesn't Disclose. Urge the Presumptive GOP Nominee to Come Clean
To raise huge amounts of campaign cash, presidential candidates rely on “bundlers.”
Bundlers are campaign funders who bundle their own donations together with those of other super-rich Americans in order to skirt the legal limits on contributions directly to campaigns in order to raise tens of thousands — if not millions — of dollars.
President Barack Obama has been publicly disclosing information about his bundlers since the 2008 campaign began. Mitt Romney also disclosed his bundlers in 2008.
But this year, Mitt Romney has so far refused all calls to release information about the identities of those in his army of bundlers.
Only the names of Romney’s bundlers who are federally registered lobbyists have been disclosed (which is required by law). The rest of his network of fundraisers remains in the shadows.
Sign the petition to Romney for President Campaign Committee
We, the undersigned, urge Mitt Romney to release his full list of campaign bundlers in order to match the level of transparency that has come to be expected from presidential candidates of both major parties.
Spread the Word
More About Bundlers
- Top bundlers are often given access and political appointments in return for gathering large amounts of money for the campaign. A 2011 study of President Obama's top-tier fundraisers from 2008 showed that 80 percent received "key administration posts" as defined by the White House.
- Every Democratic and Republican presidential nominee since 2000 has released his full list of campaign bundlers to the public, updating it periodically.
- Mitt Romney released his bundlers list in 2008 but has yet to do so for this election cycle.
- As the presumptive nominee in 2008, John McCain released his bundlers list on April 19.
- President Obama has already voluntarily released his bundlers list, with quarterly updates.
- As a result, Obama has already returned more than $200,000 in campaign contributions linked to bundlers with questionable backgrounds -- contributions that likely never would have been scrutinized if his bundlers had been kept secret.
Join Our Social Networks
|Number||Date||Name||Add a Comment|
|22708||Mon Oct 08 23:42:43 EDT 2012||Karen Lovaglio|
|22707||Mon Oct 08 22:19:24 EDT 2012||David Deutsch||Everything is a secret -- solutions to problems, tax returns and now bundlers.
I wouldn't want you for a neighbor, much less President.
|22706||Mon Oct 08 18:48:55 EDT 2012||Glenyth Turner|
|22705||Mon Oct 08 11:47:53 EDT 2012||Christopher Lish|
|22704||Sun Oct 07 09:58:18 EDT 2012||Anonymous||We the People are sovereign, not We the Checkbooks. Show us the names.|
|22703||Sat Oct 06 18:05:38 EDT 2012||Davey Ann McEvers|
|22702||Sat Oct 06 16:55:40 EDT 2012||Lew Douglas|
|22701||Sat Oct 06 05:01:01 EDT 2012||Carley Broder|
|22700||Fri Oct 05 23:40:00 EDT 2012||Tunde Ogundiyun|
|22699||Fri Oct 05 22:58:34 EDT 2012||Anonymous|
|22698||Sun Sep 30 22:39:36 EDT 2012||joel myers|
|22697||Thu Sep 27 00:59:32 EDT 2012||Laura Sternberg|
|22696||Wed Sep 26 13:43:00 EDT 2012||Andrea Frary|
|22695||Wed Sep 26 00:05:36 EDT 2012||Carlos Echevarria|
|22694||Tue Sep 25 22:26:48 EDT 2012||Erica Freeman|
|22693||Tue Sep 25 18:51:57 EDT 2012||dinmani savla|
|22692||Tue Sep 25 13:37:55 EDT 2012||Anonymous||We don't need a man we can't trust in the White House. We've had Bush that was enough. Either tell all and be transparent or get out of the race.|
|22691||Mon Sep 24 20:05:01 EDT 2012||Michelle Reed|
|22690||Mon Sep 24 14:38:32 EDT 2012||Marilyn Torgeson||Stop hiding your intentions and the people who give most of your funding. If you truly expect people to vote for you, you
must come clean with who is behind your fundraising.or is this the like More....
|22689||Sun Sep 23 13:32:12 EDT 2012||Carl Schnoor|
|22688||Sat Sep 22 18:17:27 EDT 2012||Carol Patton|
|22687||Sat Sep 22 18:17:04 EDT 2012||Carol Patton|
|22686||Sat Sep 22 14:46:47 EDT 2012||Susan Tabor||Mit Romney what do you have to HIDE. Tell us where the money comes from!|
|22685||Fri Sep 21 21:34:36 EDT 2012||Tamah Lettieri|
|22684||Thu Sep 20 17:03:32 EDT 2012||Lori Gilio|
© Public Citizen. This Web site is shared by Public Citizen Inc. and Public Citizen Foundation. Learn more about the distinction between these two components of Public Citizen.