Who Is Secretly Funneling Money into Mitt Romney's Campaign Coffers?
Unlike President Obama, Romney Doesn't Disclose. Urge the Presumptive GOP Nominee to Come Clean
To raise huge amounts of campaign cash, presidential candidates rely on “bundlers.”
Bundlers are campaign funders who bundle their own donations together with those of other super-rich Americans in order to skirt the legal limits on contributions directly to campaigns in order to raise tens of thousands — if not millions — of dollars.
President Barack Obama has been publicly disclosing information about his bundlers since the 2008 campaign began. Mitt Romney also disclosed his bundlers in 2008.
But this year, Mitt Romney has so far refused all calls to release information about the identities of those in his army of bundlers.
Only the names of Romney’s bundlers who are federally registered lobbyists have been disclosed (which is required by law). The rest of his network of fundraisers remains in the shadows.
Sign the petition to Romney for President Campaign Committee
We, the undersigned, urge Mitt Romney to release his full list of campaign bundlers in order to match the level of transparency that has come to be expected from presidential candidates of both major parties.
Spread the Word
More About Bundlers
- Top bundlers are often given access and political appointments in return for gathering large amounts of money for the campaign. A 2011 study of President Obama's top-tier fundraisers from 2008 showed that 80 percent received "key administration posts" as defined by the White House.
- Every Democratic and Republican presidential nominee since 2000 has released his full list of campaign bundlers to the public, updating it periodically.
- Mitt Romney released his bundlers list in 2008 but has yet to do so for this election cycle.
- As the presumptive nominee in 2008, John McCain released his bundlers list on April 19.
- President Obama has already voluntarily released his bundlers list, with quarterly updates.
- As a result, Obama has already returned more than $200,000 in campaign contributions linked to bundlers with questionable backgrounds -- contributions that likely never would have been scrutinized if his bundlers had been kept secret.
Join Our Social Networks
|Number||Date||Name||Add a Comment|
|22683||Thu Sep 20 09:51:40 EDT 2012||Ron Kloberdanz|
|22682||Wed Sep 19 18:43:42 EDT 2012||Lynne Banta|
|22681||Wed Sep 19 01:00:09 EDT 2012||Nikki Birdwell|
|22680||Sun Sep 16 19:09:03 EDT 2012||Olga Strickland||Tranparency is basic in a democracy!|
|22679||Sun Sep 16 14:53:22 EDT 2012||David and Ann Cordero|
|22678||Sun Sep 16 14:18:49 EDT 2012||Wolfgang Rougle||Communication and honesty arre responsibilities that come with the privilege of leadership.|
|22677||Sat Sep 15 22:16:42 EDT 2012||William Heckler|
|22676||Sat Sep 15 16:47:40 EDT 2012||Darleen Mc Naul||I want to see all tax returns for the last ten years.|
|22675||Sat Sep 15 15:02:27 EDT 2012||William Heckler|
|22674||Wed Sep 12 19:23:05 EDT 2012||june siebert|
|22673||Wed Sep 12 18:13:49 EDT 2012||Christopher Lish|
|22672||Tue Sep 11 03:06:57 EDT 2012||cindy sims|
|22671||Mon Sep 10 22:03:48 EDT 2012||Cindy Risvold|
|22670||Sun Sep 09 16:09:35 EDT 2012||Anonymous|
|22669||Sat Sep 08 23:41:56 EDT 2012||Anonymous|
|22668||Sat Sep 08 18:58:45 EDT 2012||Vic Mandarich|
|22667||Sat Sep 08 16:09:13 EDT 2012||Wendy Dannett|
|22666||Sat Sep 08 11:22:12 EDT 2012||Adrian Castro||We need total transparency from both sides during this national election. Nothing should be hidden so we can make the proper choice.|
|22665||Fri Sep 07 23:42:11 EDT 2012||Anonymous|
|22664||Fri Sep 07 20:44:38 EDT 2012||E B||Mutt, we need full disclosure if you want my vote! Tell us all your bundlers & amounts donated. Also, provide your tax returns for at least 5 years! You can become a nice guy!Thanks|
|22663||Fri Sep 07 18:26:18 EDT 2012||Brian Gauspohl||I will not vote for Mitt Romney unless he discloses all his bundlers.|
|22662||Fri Sep 07 14:21:59 EDT 2012||Lori Gilio|
|22661||Thu Sep 06 19:56:49 EDT 2012||Evelyn Hendricks|
|22660||Wed Sep 05 21:41:15 EDT 2012||Jim Murphy|
|22659||Wed Sep 05 18:27:31 EDT 2012||margaret adams|
© Public Citizen. This Web site is shared by Public Citizen Inc. and Public Citizen Foundation. Learn more about the distinction between these two components of Public Citizen.