Who Is Secretly Funneling Money into Mitt Romney's Campaign Coffers?
Unlike President Obama, Romney Doesn't Disclose. Urge the Presumptive GOP Nominee to Come Clean
To raise huge amounts of campaign cash, presidential candidates rely on “bundlers.”
Bundlers are campaign funders who bundle their own donations together with those of other super-rich Americans in order to skirt the legal limits on contributions directly to campaigns in order to raise tens of thousands — if not millions — of dollars.
President Barack Obama has been publicly disclosing information about his bundlers since the 2008 campaign began. Mitt Romney also disclosed his bundlers in 2008.
But this year, Mitt Romney has so far refused all calls to release information about the identities of those in his army of bundlers.
Only the names of Romney’s bundlers who are federally registered lobbyists have been disclosed (which is required by law). The rest of his network of fundraisers remains in the shadows.
Sign the petition to Romney for President Campaign Committee
We, the undersigned, urge Mitt Romney to release his full list of campaign bundlers in order to match the level of transparency that has come to be expected from presidential candidates of both major parties.
Spread the Word
More About Bundlers
- Top bundlers are often given access and political appointments in return for gathering large amounts of money for the campaign. A 2011 study of President Obama's top-tier fundraisers from 2008 showed that 80 percent received "key administration posts" as defined by the White House.
- Every Democratic and Republican presidential nominee since 2000 has released his full list of campaign bundlers to the public, updating it periodically.
- Mitt Romney released his bundlers list in 2008 but has yet to do so for this election cycle.
- As the presumptive nominee in 2008, John McCain released his bundlers list on April 19.
- President Obama has already voluntarily released his bundlers list, with quarterly updates.
- As a result, Obama has already returned more than $200,000 in campaign contributions linked to bundlers with questionable backgrounds -- contributions that likely never would have been scrutinized if his bundlers had been kept secret.
Join Our Social Networks
|Number||Date||Name||Add a Comment|
|22658||Wed Sep 05 15:43:48 EDT 2012||mitch mitchell||Anything kept in the dark will eventually come to the light.|
|22657||Wed Sep 05 14:03:04 EDT 2012||Toni Miller|
|22656||Wed Sep 05 11:10:01 EDT 2012||Joy Chambers|
|22655||Wed Sep 05 10:43:08 EDT 2012||Evelio Pina||Our President must protect the People and represent its best interest, therefote teansperancy is crucial to our electoral process; our Democracy demands it|
|22654||Wed Sep 05 01:39:48 EDT 2012||Richard Robinson|
|22653||Wed Sep 05 01:01:07 EDT 2012||cindy sims|
|22652||Tue Sep 04 19:42:31 EDT 2012||Karen Christian||Why are you hiding EVERYTHING??|
|22651||Tue Sep 04 15:13:58 EDT 2012||june siebert|
|22650||Tue Sep 04 11:59:37 EDT 2012||Elizabeth Co|
|22649||Tue Sep 04 05:09:40 EDT 2012||Dennis DeMarinis|
|22648||Mon Sep 03 20:38:43 EDT 2012||Mikki Weidman|
|22647||Mon Sep 03 19:13:13 EDT 2012||Anonymous|
|22646||Sun Sep 02 19:28:04 EDT 2012||Dennis Wright|
|22645||Sun Sep 02 16:35:13 EDT 2012||Christine Blunt|
|22644||Sun Sep 02 14:59:11 EDT 2012||E B||Mutt, if you want my vote, I need full disclosure of your bundlers & at least the last 5 years of your income tax records! Thanks|
|22643||Sun Sep 02 13:36:09 EDT 2012||Klaus Steinbrecher|
|22642||Sun Sep 02 13:28:06 EDT 2012||Klaus Steinbrecher|
|22641||Sun Sep 02 10:07:25 EDT 2012||Mary Williamson||I want to know who is actually financing the President for whom I vote. What are you afraid of -- that knowledge equals power for the people?|
|22640||Sat Sep 01 21:21:09 EDT 2012||Douglas Woersching|
|22639||Sat Sep 01 17:48:47 EDT 2012||Joe Landwehr|
|22638||Sat Sep 01 14:26:35 EDT 2012||Nancy Wall|
|22637||Sat Sep 01 13:54:46 EDT 2012||Sheila Williams|
|22636||Sat Sep 01 12:46:19 EDT 2012||Lawrence Schnake|
|22635||Sat Sep 01 11:45:45 EDT 2012||Anonymous|
|22634||Fri Aug 31 23:33:58 EDT 2012||Anonymous|
© Public Citizen. This Web site is shared by Public Citizen Inc. and Public Citizen Foundation. Learn more about the distinction between these two components of Public Citizen.