Write a Letter to the Editor About the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)
Help Drag the TPP “Free Trade” Agreement into the Media Spotlight
You can send a letter to the editor to major news outlets and demand that they cover this deal that is swiftly becoming “NAFTA-on-steroids” with the world.
Select one or all of the major news outlets listed below.
- New York Times: email@example.com
- Washington Post: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Los Angeles Times: email@example.com
- National Public Radio: http://bit.ly/Mzjt2E and fill out the form.
Select a few of the talking points below:
- U.S. negotiators have been working behind closed doors for three years on a massive “trade” agreement that would offshore millions of American jobs and flood us with unsafe imported food. Now it includes ten countries, but it would be open for China and Russia to join later.
- It’s called the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). It is basically NAFTA all over again, only much bigger. Thanks to recent text leaks, we know that it would allow foreign corporations to attack U.S. environmental, health and safety laws in foreign tribunals and demand taxpayer compensation. It includes incentives for U.S. firms to offshore jobs.
- Obviously, TPP is something Americans need to know about. So, where is your coverage?
- Yes, TPP is being negotiated in secret with even members of Congress barred from seeing the text. But that makes it even more critical for the media to cover.
- And its big political news. President Obama is attacking Governor Romney for offshoring American jobs. But Obama is supporting this massive job-offshoring deal.
- State legislators from all 50 states have raised concern.
- Many members of Congress have signed a letter criticizing the deal and demanding access to the secret draft texts.
- The American public relies on you. TPP is a very big deal. We need to know more. TPP negotiations start again in Virginia in a few weeks. Will you have a reporter there?
Here are some helpful tips to help you get your letter to the editor published.
In order to increase the likelihood of your letter being printed, please keep it 150 words. It should be sent in the body of an e-mail (no attachments) to the publication of your choice.
Thank you for helping to drag TPP into the media spotlight!
|1560||Sun Oct 14 18:14:02 EDT 2012||Melinda Schoppe||TX|
|1559||Thu Oct 04 01:44:08 EDT 2012||George Davis||OR|
|1558||Mon Oct 01 20:13:48 EDT 2012||kay WARD||CA|
|1557||Mon Oct 01 18:28:20 EDT 2012||anne karppinen||AP|
|1556||Thu Sep 20 12:36:58 EDT 2012||Rebecca Siegel||MA||U.S. negotiators have been working behind closed doors for three years on a massive “trade” agreement that would offshore millions of American jobs and flood us with unsafe imported food. Now it includes More....|
|1555||Wed Sep 19 01:00:20 EDT 2012||Nikki Birdwell||TX|
|1554||Tue Sep 18 18:00:34 EDT 2012||Yvonne Grice||SC|
|1553||Mon Sep 17 11:56:54 EDT 2012||John Butterfield||CA||This goes against everything we stand for|
|1552||Sun Sep 16 21:10:29 EDT 2012||Anonymous||WA|
|1551||Sun Sep 16 20:02:06 EDT 2012||Anonymous||FL|
|1550||Sun Sep 16 20:01:14 EDT 2012||Joseph Balkis||IL|
|1549||Wed Sep 12 00:07:53 EDT 2012||Bill Miller||NV|
|1548||Sat Sep 08 19:16:30 EDT 2012||Marian evans||CA|
|1547||Fri Sep 07 22:26:37 EDT 2012||Jacqueline Newman||KY|
|1546||Wed Sep 05 15:06:30 EDT 2012||Michael Katsilis||NC|
|1545||Tue Sep 04 15:54:50 EDT 2012||Scott Ryskamp||MI|
|1544||Sun Sep 02 21:18:37 EDT 2012||Ann and Daniel Asnes||MA|
|1543||Sun Sep 02 18:13:50 EDT 2012||Dennis Wright||OH|
|1542||Sat Sep 01 02:11:06 EDT 2012||Donna Widmer||KS|
|1541||Sat Sep 01 01:39:03 EDT 2012||Sandra Gordon||CA|
|1540||Fri Aug 31 23:26:30 EDT 2012||Anonymous||FL|
|1539||Fri Aug 31 06:37:32 EDT 2012||Matthew Malina||NY|
|1538||Thu Aug 30 23:53:30 EDT 2012||Anonymous||CA|
|1537||Thu Aug 30 21:11:34 EDT 2012||Danielle Gaskin||NJ|
|1536||Wed Aug 29 15:47:37 EDT 2012||nancy gutierrez||CA|
© Public Citizen. This Web site is shared by Public Citizen Inc. and Public Citizen Foundation. Learn more about the distinction between these two components of Public Citizen.