Alert the Media About the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) “Free Trade” Agreement
Help Drag the TPP “Free Trade” Agreement into the Media Spotlight
As the fourteenth round of the TPP negotiations resume in Leesburg, VA, we need to alert the major news outlets and put TPP in the headlines. Follow the steps below and help to drag TPP into the spotlight before it’s too late.
1. Call or leave a comment for one or all of the major news outlets listed below.
- New York Times: (212) 556- 7652 Arthur Brisbane, Public Editor (Represents NYT reader concerns)
- Washington Post: (202) 334-7300 Patrick B. Pexton, Ombudsman
- Los Angeles Times: Leave a comment about TPP for the reader’s representative of the LA Times here.
- National Public Radio: (202) 513-3232 (comment hotline) or leave a comment for NPR ombudsman, Edward Schumacher-Matos on NPR’s open forum for listeners. (Note: You will have to log in and create an account to leave a comment)
2. Let major media outlets know that they are not covering a story that could affect our everyday lives — from food safety to offshoring jobs. Feel free to use the script below.
Hi this is __________, and I am a reader/listener of the (name of news outlet). I am really upset that there has been no coverage of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). I rely on your reporters to get me the news that is important. I do not understand how you could be missing this story. The TPP is an international agreement that has been under negotiation for three years with the US and 11 other countries. It could be finished this year. It threatens to offshore millions of U.S. jobs, increase medicine prices, flood us with unsafe food imports, and empower corporations to challenge our environmental and consumer safety laws in international tribunals. There have been 600 official corporate advisors who have access to the draft text of this massive deal, but the public and Congress have been locked out. This thing is like “NAFTA on steroids” with a bunch of Asian countries. The next round of negotiations will take place from September 6th-September 15 in Leesburg, VA. Please send a reporter to these negotiations, this agreement is too important to not be covered!
3. Let us know how your call went.
|87||Fri Aug 24 12:05:58 EDT 2012||C Diaz||NY|
|86||Fri Aug 24 12:05:09 EDT 2012||Grace Kelly||NY|
|85||Fri Aug 24 12:04:12 EDT 2012||Patrick De La Garza Und Senkel||TX|
|84||Fri Aug 24 12:03:26 EDT 2012||Jose Ricardo Bondoc||CA|
|83||Fri Aug 24 12:03:13 EDT 2012||Anonymous||FL|
|82||Fri Aug 24 12:00:09 EDT 2012||Ken Kocses||NY|
|81||Fri Aug 24 12:00:06 EDT 2012||Margaret Frazier||CA|
|80||Fri Aug 24 11:57:26 EDT 2012||Rich & Eileen Heaning||NY|
|79||Fri Aug 24 11:56:24 EDT 2012||Brandi Hudson||NY|
© Public Citizen. This Web site is shared by Public Citizen Inc. and Public Citizen Foundation. Learn more about the distinction between these two components of Public Citizen.