Call Your Representative
Tell Her or Him to Co-Sponsor a Constitutional Amendment to Overturn Citizens United and Restore Democracy to the People
Just a few calls from your district can really make the difference in getting your member of Congress to co-sponsor H.J.R. 34, the Democracy Is For People constitutional amendment.
It’s because phone calls are a little more work that they mean even more to your elected officials.
Here’s What to Do
1. Call 1-888-291-9824 to be connected to the Capitol switchboard.
2. Ask to be connected with your representative.*
3. Let us know how your call went! Leave a comment below to tell us what happened.
4. When a staff member answers the phone, you can use this script (see the list below to check if your representative is already a co-sponsor and thank them if they are):
"I’m a constituent, and I’m calling to urge my congressperson to co-sponsor the Democracy Is For People amendment. H.J.R. 34 is a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United and restore the right of Congress and the states to regulate our own elections. The amendment would allow regulation of all campaign spending. It states that because only individuals have the right to vote, only individuals should have a right to spend money to influence our elections. Would Representative_______ be willing to join as a co-sponsor H.J.R. 34?"
Note: The following representatives have already co-sponsored H.J.R. 34: Blumenauer [OR-3], Cartwright [PA-17], Chu [CA-27], Cicilline [RI-1], Cohen [TN-9], Conyers Jr. [MI-13], DeFazio [OR-4], DeLauro [CT-3], DelBene [WA-1], Deutch [FL-21], Ellison [MN-5], Engel [NY-16], Farr [CA-20], Frankel [FL-22], Grayson [FL-9],Green [TX-29], Gutierrez [IL-4], Hastings [FL-20],Honda [CA-17], Keating [MA-9], Kilmer [WA-6], Kirkpatrick [AZ-1], Larsen [WA-2], Larson [CT-1], Lee [CA-13], Lee [TX-18], Lewis [GA-5], Lowenthal [CA-47], Lujan Grisham [NM-1], McGovern [MA-2], Miller [CA-11], Moran [VA-8], Norton [DC-delegate], Pascrell Jr. [NJ-9], Pastor [AZ-7], Perlmutter [CO-7], Pingree [ME-1], Pocan [WI-2], Rangel [NY-13], Ryan [OH-13], Sarbanes [MD-3], Schakowsky [IL-9], Schrader [OR-5], Shea-Porter [NH-1], Slaughter [NY-25], Waxman [CA-33], Welch [VT]
* If you wish to contact your Senators you can ask them to co-sponsor the Democracy Is For People amendment in the Senate - S.J.R 11 introduced by Senator Bernie Sanders.
Leave a Comment to Let Us Know That You Called