Urge FERC to Protect Consumers, Engage Public
Sign Petition to Establish an Office of Consumer Advocate and Public Participation
The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) is a powerful federal agency, with sweeping authority over power markets and controversial energy infrastructure projects.
But it acts with limited public engagement and oversight.
From approving gas pipelines to setting electricity rates, FERC actions affect all Americans and require more public scrutiny and engagement by groups who represent the public interest.
Add Your Voice to Urge FERC to Secure a Consumer Advocate
We, the undersigned, call on FERC to create an Office of Consumer Advocate and Public Participation along the following principles:
- The office should be organized in a way to maximize independence. Financing for the Office should be clearly allocated to support the activities of the office.
- The office must be able to conduct its own investigations and not be limited to the scope of FERC dockets or proceedings.
- The office should include authority to provide intervenor funding to consumer groups to encourage their participation in FERC proceedings.
- The office should coordinate assistance and outreach to the public with respect to authority exercised by FERC.
- The office should have an advisory board composed of representatives of the non-governmental consumer advocacy community, including organizations representing low-income households and the elderly, and both national and state-based consumer organizations.