Write a Letter to the Editor About the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)
Help Drag the TPP “Free Trade” Agreement into the Media Spotlight
You can send a letter to the editor to major news outlets and demand that they cover this deal that is swiftly becoming “NAFTA-on-steroids” with the world.
Select one or all of the major news outlets listed below.
- New York Times: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Washington Post: email@example.com
- Los Angeles Times: firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Public Radio: http://bit.ly/Mzjt2E and fill out the form.
Select a few of the talking points below:
- U.S. negotiators have been working behind closed doors for three years on a massive “trade” agreement that would offshore millions of American jobs and flood us with unsafe imported food. Now it includes ten countries, but it would be open for China and Russia to join later.
- It’s called the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). It is basically NAFTA all over again, only much bigger. Thanks to recent text leaks, we know that it would allow foreign corporations to attack U.S. environmental, health and safety laws in foreign tribunals and demand taxpayer compensation. It includes incentives for U.S. firms to offshore jobs.
- Obviously, TPP is something Americans need to know about. So, where is your coverage?
- Yes, TPP is being negotiated in secret with even members of Congress barred from seeing the text. But that makes it even more critical for the media to cover.
- And its big political news. President Obama is attacking Governor Romney for offshoring American jobs. But Obama is supporting this massive job-offshoring deal.
- State legislators from all 50 states have raised concern.
- Many members of Congress have signed a letter criticizing the deal and demanding access to the secret draft texts.
- The American public relies on you. TPP is a very big deal. We need to know more. TPP negotiations start again in Virginia in a few weeks. Will you have a reporter there?
Here are some helpful tips to help you get your letter to the editor published.
In order to increase the likelihood of your letter being printed, please keep it 150 words. It should be sent in the body of an e-mail (no attachments) to the publication of your choice.
Thank you for helping to drag TPP into the media spotlight!
|1585||Fri Aug 02 10:26:52 EDT 2013||Alexis Maestre-Saborit||FL||God is the Only Power in the World,
No United States.
|1584||Fri Aug 02 10:25:21 EDT 2013||Alexis Maestre-Saborit||FL||No More Injustice in the United States.
|1583||Fri Mar 29 20:15:06 EDT 2013||Jeri Zeutzius||VA|
|1582||Wed Mar 06 19:25:27 EST 2013||hector morales||WA|
|1581||Sat Feb 23 08:45:18 EST 2013||Marian evans||CA|
|1580||Fri Feb 22 14:02:50 EST 2013||KC Peterson||CA|
|1579||Wed Feb 20 15:52:53 EST 2013||Alan Swartwout||WI|
|1578||Tue Feb 19 03:14:20 EST 2013||Anonymous||CA||Please don't sell your nations workforce for higher slave labor profits.|
|1577||Wed Feb 13 10:39:57 EST 2013||Cara Brooke||NY|
|1576||Wed Feb 13 08:58:31 EST 2013||Ashton Tassin||TX|
|1575||Tue Feb 12 12:20:37 EST 2013||Anonymous||IL||I, for one, also plan on asking local newspapers and radio to shed some light on the TPP as well as Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. I urge more of you to do the same.|
|1574||Tue Feb 12 12:20:18 EST 2013||Anonymous||IL||I, for one, also plan on asking local newspapers and radio to shed some light on the TPP as well as Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. I urge more of you to do the same.|
|1573||Fri Feb 01 12:26:07 EST 2013||Mike sullivan||NJ|
|1572||Sat Jan 26 00:08:49 EST 2013||Anonymous||WA||207 -->206Why not Seattle Times? I'll forward this round to large papers left in WA. TPP threatens what's left of the middle class, will wipe out any but the wealthy, who directly benefit from corporate personhood.|
|1571||Sat Jan 26 00:08:48 EST 2013||Anonymous||WA||207 -->206Why not Seattle Times? I'll forward this round to large papers left in WA. TPP threatens what's left of the middle class, will wipe out any but the wealthy, who directly benefit from corporate personhood.|
|1570||Mon Jan 07 12:45:52 EST 2013||Nancy Haney||NY||These audacious treaties have an incredible "no opting-out" clause. We have no representation on NAFTA "boards of directors", consequently we lose control of our resources, not to mention, our social and More....|
|1569||Fri Dec 07 21:54:15 EST 2012||Marian evans||CA|
|1568||Mon Nov 26 12:48:49 EST 2012||kari franzen||OR|
|1567||Tue Nov 20 09:22:26 EST 2012||Daniel Belachew||MA|
|1566||Mon Nov 19 04:03:51 EST 2012||Molly Noone||AZ|
|1565||Sun Nov 18 15:40:13 EST 2012||Ricardo Perez||CT|
|1564||Sat Nov 17 09:44:53 EST 2012||Jeffrey Scott Robinson||CA|
|1563||Fri Nov 16 16:35:00 EST 2012||Nicholas Annicchiarico||NJ|
|1562||Thu Oct 25 20:17:04 EDT 2012||Naheed Kalhor||CA|
|1561||Mon Oct 15 23:20:27 EDT 2012||Carlos Echevarria||CA|
© Public Citizen. This Web site is shared by Public Citizen Inc. and Public Citizen Foundation. Learn more about the distinction between these two components of Public Citizen.