Tell Trump How to Get NAFTA Right
The Trump administration recently announced renegotiations of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
Now is our chance to demand a NAFTA replacement that works for working people and won't be just another giveaway for corporate interests.
Petition to Trump’s Top Trade Negotiator
Dear USTR Robert Lighthizer:
Your renegotiation of NAFTA is an opportunity to stop its ongoing damage and to replace NAFTA with a deal that benefits working people, not just big corporations.
That is why we are calling on you to meet these criteria in any new agreement with Canada and Mexico:
- A democratic, accountable and transparent negotiating process without privileged backroom access for corporate lobbyists and industry associations.
- Elimination of the investor-state dispute settlement (ISDS) system, which promotes job offshoring and gives multinational corporations rights to sue the U.S. government before a tribunal of three corporate lawyers. These lawyers can order U.S. taxpayers to pay corporations unlimited sums of money, including for the loss of expected future profits.
- Strong and enforceable labor and environmental standards, not the ineffective rules found in deals like the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP).
- A requirement that all imported food, goods and services meet strong domestic safety and environmental rules. Eliminate trade rules that waive important Buy American and Buy Local policies along with other human rights and environmental procurement preferences, which help grow jobs here and live up to our values.
- Elimination of trade rules that drive up the cost of lifesaving medicines by giving pharmaceutical companies extended monopolies on drug patents.